July 29, 2014
As Summer winds down (don't shoot the messenger), I'm sure we're all looking for any way we can hold onto the best of the current season. But August is a great month (minus the dog days) to celebrate what's next. Here are 5 fab things to get excited about during the 8th month of the year:
1. I've penciled in an appointment to sample this Target beauty discovery during my next at-home facial. Word on the street is these mini packets are filled with natural ingredients that really truly work. Buy them online here.
2. Chadwick Boseman's portrayal of legendary baseball great, Jackie Robinson in 42 was phenomenal, so I'm looking forward to seeing him take on the King of Soul in this movie biopic.
3. Good things come in 3's.... and 7's and 9's like these delicious new arm candy sets from our Gemmy Jewels Collection.
4. It's no secret that as a sports fanatic, this month begins one of my most favorite times of the year. The pigskin returns!
5. With Five Guys and Shake Shack, do we really need another chain burger joint in Philly? This one opens in August and is a "bare" necessity for it's exotic meats and organic goodness.
July 15, 2014
There's nothing like a sipping on a colorful, flavor-filled beverage at any time of the year but I've found that Summer is the season for concocting some of the best drinks because there are so many wonderful fresh ingredients available: sunny fruits, crisp veggies, zesty herbs - a cornucopia of tasty goodness. We've been experimenting with delicious cocktails using many of the recipes I've discovered on Pinterest and the gorgeous food blogs you can find online. At times our kitchen has resembled both a cafeteria assembly line and a mad scientist's laboratory. Realizing that we needed stop playing bartender and narrow our choices down to a select few that we could serve and enjoy throughout the season, we decided on Sangria as a base drink because the ingredient variations are endless and it can be made ahead of time which is perfect for entertaining. (FYI - Margaritas came in 2nd)
This Mango-Peach version from chef John Besh of New Orleans is now a house favorite. (Many of his amazing culinary treats can be found here which is where I also uncovered my favorite winter cocktail) Sangria is traditionally made with alcohol but as a non-imbiber, I always appreciate recipes that are accommodating of that without sacrificing flavor. For this drink, I substitute orange juice for the Grand Marnier and instead of Viognier, I use a non-alcoholic chardonnay like this one. Delish!
Try experimenting with various fruit combinations in your Sangria. It's really hard to go wrong and you have a refreshing Summertime drink that almost everyone will enjoy!
Images: (top left, clockwise) Apple Pear White Sangria, Apple Rickey, Clementine Limoncello Champagne Cocktail, Tuscan Pear Cocktail, Blue Margarita, Strawberry-Rhubarb Margarita (bottom) Mango-Peach Sangria
July 4, 2014
It's a gray, rainy day where we are. I'm sure a lot of people in the area (including ourselves) had outdoor plans for the day that are now cancelled or at the very least postponed until tomorrow when the weather forecast is much brighter and drier. One positive that I hope comes from the plans that have been changed is that we now have an opportunity to reflect on what this day really means with patriotic pride. Wishing everyone in the USA a safe and Happy Independence Day!